Summer is here and men everywhere are enjoying the opportunity to dress down, soak up the sun, and enjoy all the fun activities that summer has to offer. But with warmer weather, more exposure to the sun, and more chances to get out and be active, it’s important that you keep your grooming regimen up to par during these warmer summer months.
Here are some simple, but necessary grooming tips to keep you looking fresh and polished all summer long.
- Go Short for Summer! Not only should you ditch your long trousers for the warmer months, but summer is also a great opportunity to cut your hair short. Shorter hair will keep you cooler, and will require low-maintenance, so you don’t have to worry about looking good after spending the afternoon on the beach.
- Switch up your fragrance! Most of us have heard at one time or another that the best place to apply a fragrance is on pulse points, where the blood flows closest to the surface of the skin such as the wrists and neck. But did you know that the summer heat can intensifie scents making strong, amber, vetiver or wood-based notes seem overpowering? Instead, opt for fragrances that have citrus notes like lemon, bergamont or grapefruit, and use just a few sprays around the collarbone to keep your smelling fresh all summer long.
- Stay Hydrated! Skin that’s properly hydrated has 80 percent water in the dermis, the deepest level of the skin, 70 percent in the epidermis, the skin’s middle layer, and 13 percent in the outermost layer. Increased exposure to the sun, and more activity outdoors means staying hydrated is absolutely crucial during hot summer days. When these levels drop because of sweating, scorching sun and the occasional summer cocktail, skin becomes dry and tight, so make sure you’re adequately hydrated from within by eating plenty of fruit and veggies, which release moisture slowly and steadily. Staying hydrated will ensure that your skin looks it best as it soaks up the sun’s rays, and will keep your energized to ensure you’re capitalizing on all the fun activities that summer has to offer.
- Protect yourself! Choosing the right sunscreen is as important as choosing the right life insurance. In fact, given the dangers of the sun’s UVA and UVB rays, sunscreen is life insurance! It’s absolutely imperative to lather on a broad spectrum sunscreen while outdoors, as increased exposure to the suns rays will increase your risk of damaging your skin — your body’s largest organ!
- Get a pedicure! In today’s wildly evolved world of men’s grooming, there’s no excuse to let your nails and feet go untrimmed! Before you trade in your work shoes for sandals this summer, make sure you schedule a pedicure to keep your feet in tip-top condition.
Summer grooming doesn’t have to be a chore. In fact, our newest Manhattan location is the perfect one-stop-shop for men who take grooming seriously. Our expert stylists can cut or trim your hair and beard to make sure you’re summer ready, and our in-house spa offerings will make getting a manicure and pedicure easy. You’ll also want to stock up on our specially curated line of products to keep your hair and your skin looking great all summer long.
To schedule an appointment, call into one of our locations and make your summer look one to remember!